Monday, July 14, 2008
The Closure Procedure
Well, today I had my long awaited, much anticipated leg surgery on my varicose veins. I got my right leg done. It was an in-office procedure, but it was surgery nonetheless. It was a little more painful than I expected it to be, but not too bad. So this is a relatively new procedure called The Closure Procedure where the vascular surgeon inserts a catheter in the diseased vein which delivers radio-frequency energy which heats and kills the vein. So I was thinking that I would go in and get poked and proded a bit and then I'd be done- kind of like the sclerotherapy that I'd tried in the past. I did not expect the doctor to be decked out in a gown and surgical mask and blue sheets placed all around me and whatnot. I really felt as if I was in an operating room. The thing is- I was waiting so long for the insurance company to approve this surgery that I kind of lost the excitement of it and I didn't get nervous until this morning. So when I was being "prepped", I was kind of freaking out a little. I started to think, hey, maybe I should've gotten a blessing yesterday. Maybe I should've made a will. It all turned out okay though. I have several punctures throughout my leg- ankle to groin and I'm wrapped up like a mummy. I'm in a bit of pain, but it's nothing I can't handle. My 31-hour labor with Cameron makes everything seem minor. So we shall see in the coming weeks if the surgery was a success and then- onto the left leg! Fun! If you are reading this and are plagued by these awful, nasty veins, you can go to www.vnus.com for more information on this new procedure.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




1 comment:
Man Kristina, that sounds painful! I hope you are feeling better today and able to get around. I miss you!
Post a Comment