The mole is the bane of my existence. The mole is a unit of measurement used in chemistry that is equivalent to Avagadro's number, or 6.022 X 10 to the 24th power. It seems pretty self explanatory, but that it is not. The mole has caused me to stay up until the wee hours of the morning. The mole has caused me to wake up in a cold sweat in the middle of the night. The mole has caused me to shake with anxiety. The mole has caused me to spend over an hour an a half on an exam. The mole has caused tears to shed from my eyes after that dreadful exam. I do not like the mole. I did not like the mole in high school, but since I have an awesome chemistry professor, I kept an open mind about it. Nope, I still do not like it. Why is this bothering me so much? I have a perfect A average in all of my classes. I have gotten all As on my exams and quizzes and assignments. I have been striving to keep that perfection going, but now I fear that my streak has been ruined. All because of the mole. Who is this Avagadro guy anyway? And why did he ruin the lives of chemistry students by inventing this unit of measurement? Couldn't he have taken up a hobby instead?
Calculate the number of grams of C3H8 required to produce 36.0g of H2O. Use the balanced equation: C3H8 (g) + 5O2 (g) = 3CO2 (g) + 4H2O (g). (The equal sign is supposed to be an arrow.)
If you can do this problem, I'll give you a sticker.
Thursday, April 03, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




2 comments:
Man, I remember that I did not get along well with the mole either way back in high school. Hang in there, you are doing great.
I have evil memories of trying to take High School Chemistry in the summer so I would get through with it quickly and could just have fun my senior year!! My teacher was just as annoying and had a stuffed mole to help him explain the concept of a mole- that did not help me one bit!!!
A waste of my sunny summer days!! I just think you are amazing for attempting this when you have 4 in home distractions!!
Go Girl!
Post a Comment